The Tiny Heart: How to Wear a Crop Top

5.29.2014

How to Wear a Crop Top



Charlotte Russe Crop Top, Charlotte Russe Tribal Skater Skirt, Clutch-Target (similar Marc Fisher Clutch), Sandals-American Eagle (similar Fergalicious Serene Flat Sandal)

Well you guys, I finally took the plunge and am wearing a crop top. I never wore one when they came around in the 90s because there was no way my mom would let me out of the house in one! (Even though I'm an adult now, this post is probably giving her anxiety, ha). I got both the top and the skirt at Charlotte Russe. It's a store I don't normally shop at, but they do have tons of crop tops at really affordable prices. They were having a $10 sale on skirts the day I was in the store so the top and skirt cost me just $18 total. 

If you're thinking about this trend, here's my tips for wearing a crop top:
  • Pair it with a high waisted skirt/shorts/pants. This will show just a little hint of skin. 
  • Don't show your belly button. I think that crosses the line into trashy territory (I'm looking at you, Rihanna!)
  • Try it on in the store. Crop tops come in all different lengths, so it's best to test it out in the dressing room to see where it will fall on you. 
  • Be confident! It takes confidence to bare your midriff when you're not at the beach. If you feel too exposed, pair it with a blazer or jacket. 
  

 photo LWIGRules_zps26ecaa31.png

1. follow your hosts

Sharon @ The Tiny Heart

2. grab a button
Or link back to one of your hosts, and help us promote Look What I Got!

3. link up!
Link up your post on what you got (for cheap)!
(Please don't link up your entire blog or any posts that are not "Look What I Got"! )

We love having you link up and we will be reading all your posts! So, if you don't follow the rules and link back you'll be put in time out (i.e. we'll delete your link).

4. mix and mingle
Visit some other blogs and let them know you found them through the link up!

41 comments:

  1. You look great! Just the right amount of skin. I've shopped in that store and found some cute things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're rocking it Sharon!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sharon!! I love this outfit! It looks great on you! XO :D

    Lisa,xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look super cute! I love the skirt you paired it with. Way to rock the crop top while looking elegant and classy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great on you! Just a little skin makes it manageable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outfit, especially the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I feel like the bellybutton in general just isn't flattering so I try to avoid it with crop tops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot get enough of crop tops right now!! You look amazing!!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute xo
    Jamie
    www.candystilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look amazing in a crop top!! I love that you paired it with a high waisted skirt! Perfection

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! You can definitely pull this look off. I think I may be too old, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! This crop top suits you well and what a find on the outfit! I've got way too much muffin top going on to be sporting a crop top until then, I will leave it to you rock it :)

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great! I actually tried a crop on at the thrift store the other day but totally chickened out. I kind of want to go back and see if it's still there, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are styling the crop top perfectly! So chic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips! Sigh. I can't wait to wear my crop tops again. Love the pairing of the skirt and top Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love it! you look so cute! I think there is nothing wrong with showing the belly button tho, if you have the stomach for it, GO for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to wear a crop top, but I think you totally make it work, and it can be so fun to participate in these trends!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im with you on hiding your belly button. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am totally afraid of crop tops because my stomach is my least favorite part of my body, but i like the way you're wearing it with just a bit of skin showing around the waist/rib area. i think i could possibly pull that off!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woohoo! Way to rock the crop top! I definitely agree with all the rules.
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great crop top rules!!!
    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one trend I'd like to try but have to wait until my body is in better shape. I love that it's just a suttle peek a boo hint of skin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay!! You did it!!! Way to get the confidence and go for it! Plus you didn't spend a lot on trend that may not stick around!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Something about the proportions of a crop top just seems off on my body.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'm too scared to try the crop top trend but maaaaybe i'll try it this summer or when we're on our honeymoon. i think it looks so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look great in a crop top! I am not sure that I could pull this off! Love it on you!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, Sharon, you look fabulous! So amazing! This outfit looks great on you! You totally pull off this look!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  28. you pull this crop top well Sharon. I am still looking for a great one to fit me.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This outfit looks great on you!
    I am just now feeling comfortable enough to wear crop tops and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This totally works for you! I don't think I could ever put on a crop top. I'd be toooooo anxious haha!

    ReplyDelete
  31. you look so cute! totally going to use these tips when i finally wear the crop top i bought.

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Confidence is key, I totally agree! And you look fabulous! Pulling off a crop top is easier than some people think!
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this look. You nailed it with just a hint of skin and no belly button showing. I wore cropped tops in the 90s but I wouldn't wear them that way again. I'll try it the new way!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this look on you Sharon! Both pieces are the perfect length, and. The crop top looks tasteful and up to date: what a bargain , too!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Omg. I don't have the guts and the body to wear a crop top. It looks so good on you tho. You look stunning, it fits you well.

    http://ishmoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. you wear it well sharon! looks great!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. love the new crop tops! i don't feel comfortable wearing one, but i am LOVING this trend. you look great

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great tips, and the crop top looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! :)